These cookies are easy, fast and addicting! I chose this recipe (see below) to add to my repertoire and to provide a recipe on this blog that is simple and fast. I found delight in the use of only one bowl…unique, as it begins with dry ingredients, then adding butter and eggs. But it works. The only thing about the ingredients I felt was that the cookie needed salt. I made these three times, the first time following the recipe as it was. The second and third time I added 1 teaspoon of salt, which improved the flavor.
I’ve added a few notes after making the recipes a few times:
- When you make them, note the cooking time is much less;
- I used lemon rind because I don’t have lemon extract in my pantry.
- They need to be chilled for a long time…definitely more than one hour.
- Also, on my third time around, I dipped them in chocolate…oohh-lala! Nothing better.
Happy Baking!….. Onto a new cookbook for March.
Pecan Sugar Cookies
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder,
- 1/2 cup sugar,
- 4 oz. pound butter
- 2 eggs lightly beaten,
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract or 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract,
- 3/4 of a cup chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon SALT:
- This recipe didn’t call for salt, but I chose to add 1 teaspoon of salt
- ¼ Cup TORENADO SUGAR:
- Prior to baking, I dipped the top of each cookie in Tornado sugar to add a bit more sweetness
- Sift the flour*, baking powder and sugar together in a large mixing bowl. (*Simply pour and shake the flour through a strainer)
- Add the butter, lightly beaten eggs, lemon extract (I used zest of one lemon), vanilla and chopped pecans.
- Blend thoroughly with hands* (*I used the paddle attachment on my mixer.)
- Place dough on a floured board and shape the it into two logs, each one and a half inches in diameter.
- Wrap each log in wax paper. Chill for 60 minutes or longer. (I chilled for 4+ hours)
- Preheat the oven to 350°
- Slice each log crosswise into rounds, each about ½” thick, or slightly less. (I dipped the top of each cookie in Tornado sugar to add a bit more sweetness)
- Arrange rounds on baking sheet.
- Place in the oven and bake for 25 to 30* minutes or until golden brown. (I made these cookies 3 times and 17-18 minutes baked them adequately…any more time would burn them.)
- Remove and let cool. Yields about three dozen